Scalloped Potatoes are a great comfort side dish. I have been missing them since having to avoid gluten and dairy.
This variation made with almond milk and Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour really hit the spot!
We do not like sloppy scalloped potatoes, but if you prefer lots of sauce you could easily increase the ingredients by half when making the sauce on the stove.
Printable Recipe Card with a Full List of Ingredients and Instructions is Located at the Bottom of the Post.
Be sure to read through the entire post so that you don’t miss out on any important tips and tricks!
To begin making Scalloped Potatoes I put some margarine, minced garlic, onion powder salt and pepper into a sauce pan over med/low heat.
After stirring them together I mixed some almond milk and chicken broth together and set it aside.
Once the margarine had melted I added some Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour to the sauce pan.
I stirred in the flour.
Then I gradually whisked in the milk and broth mixture I had prepared.
Once all the liquid was added I turned the heat to medium and let it come to a boil while stirring occasionally. While waiting for it to come to a boil I sliced up one large yellow onion.
I also peeled about 3 pounds of potatoes.
When the mixture came to a boil I turned off the burner and continued to stir it occasionally while I sliced the potatoes.
I have a mandolin slicer so this step did not take very long.
Once the potatoes were sliced I sprayed a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with cooking spray. I spread out a layer of potatoes in the baking pan.
Followed by a layer of sliced onions.
Followed by 1/3 of the sauce I had prepared earlier.
I repeated the layers 2 more times ending with the last of the cream sauce.
Then I covered the baking pan with tin foil before placing the potatoes in a preheated 350F oven for 50 minutes.
After 50 minutes I removed the tin foil and returned the pan to the oven for another 45 minutes uncovered.
When the potatoes were done baking I removed the tin foil and turned on the broiler.
I put the baking pan under the broiler for a few minutes until the potatoes were browned. This is an optional step.
Scalloped Potatoes are a traditional comfort food that I had been missing. This variation will be making the potato dish rotation in our house!
This gluten free, dairy free, recipe is a tasty addition to any meal!
More Side Dishes You Will Love…
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 lbs thinly sliced potatoes
- 1 large onion sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- To prepare the cream sauce place margarine, minced garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper into a sauce pan over med/low heat. Stir to combine as it melts.
- Mix together the almond milk and the chicken broth. Set aside.
- Once margarine melts stir in the Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour.
- After flour incorporated gradually whisk in the almond milk and chicken broth mixture.
- Turn heat to medium and stir occasionally until it comes to a boil.
- While cream sauce heating slice onion and peel potatoes.
- When sauce boils turn heat off and continue stirring occasionally while slicing the potatoes. I use a mandolin slicer so this step is quick.
- Place a layer of potatoes in prepared 9" x 13" baking pan. Follow with a layer of the sliced onion and 1/3 of the cream sauce.
- Repeat layers two more times ending with the cream sauce.
- Cover the scalloped potatoes with tin foil and place in the preheated 350F oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove tin foil and return to oven for another 45 minutes uncovered.
- After 45 minutes if you want them browner on the top put them under the broiler for a few minutes until desired doneness.
- Remove, serve and enjoy!
*If you prefer runnier scalloped potatoes you can increase the sauce ingredients by half.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 281mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g